Aldo Rossi (1931 – 1997) completed his studies in the 50’s at Politecnico of Milan.
He was the assistant in Ignazio Gardella and Marco Zanusos’ studio, he taught with Ludovico Quaroni at the Scuola Urbanistica in Arezzo and at the IUAV in Venice; professor at the Politecnico of Milan in 1959, he got the professorship of Buildings Architecture in 1970 when he started his collaboration with different American Universities: the Cooper Union University, the Institute for Architecture and Urban Studies, Harvard and Yale University. His projects include public and private buildings. Among his first projects have to be mentioned: the De Amicis School enlargement in Broni (1970), a residential complex in the Gallaratese quarter of Milan (1973) and the primary school in Fagnano Olona (1976). Following: the public buildings in Fontivegge- Perugia and Borgoricco (1989), the Theater Carlo Felice restructuring in Genua, the Milano-Linate airport enlargement (1993) and the project for the rebuilding of the Theater “La Fenice” in Venice. At the same time he was recognized abroad for projects such as the block between Kochstrasse and Friedrichstrasse in Berlin (1981), the Hotel “Il Palazzo” in Fukoka (1989) and the Bonnefanten Museum in Maastricht (1994).
His activity as historian and architectural theorist includes collaborations with magazines such as “Casabella Continuità”, “Società”, and “Il Contemporaneo”, the publication of the book Architettura della città (1966) and of A Scientific Autobiography (1984), the film Ornamento e delitto and the direction of the international Architecture section at the Triennale of Milan (1973) and the Architecture section of the Venice Biennal in 1983. Architect and researcher, has been appointed as Accademico di San Luca in 1979, awarded with the Pritzker Price 1990 and the 1991 Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture.
Aldo Rossi is famous also for his activity as a designer – Alessi, Artemide, Longoni, Molteni, Unifor – and as an artist, from the Teatro del Mondo, presented at the Venice Biennal in 1979, to the Sandro Pertini Monument (Milano, 1990) and his pictorial and graphical art, strictly connected to his projects.